Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

I feel like I have to be honest with you (whomever you are) and tell you that I have had varying emotions about Mother's Day in the past.  When Travis and I first married, it was just another day.  Of course we celebrated by thanking each of our mothers, but nothing more.  When we decided to start trying for a family, Mother's Day became a hopeful day. "Next year, I will get to celebrate this as a mom," I thought.  As two more years passed, it was more difficult to celebrate on this day.  Last year I downright hated the day.  I didn't need to be reminded that I was not made to conceive a child.  If anyone reading this has dealt with infertility, I'm sure you understand those feelings exactly.  (On a side note, I have some really great websites that I found and a magazine that a friend of mine turned me on to that I liked to read during the wait.) At that time, we were on the waiting list for adoption and had been told not to expect anything for over a year.  In the back of my mind there was always a little nagging doubt that motherhood may never happen for me.
Needless to say, I was overly thrilled and completely in awe of God's master plan to be able spend my first Mother's Day as Carter's mommy.  It was an uneventful day, but one that I will treasure forever.  Daddy took us out to lunch and then to shop for plants for the garden.  I got to stay in and play with Carter while Travis tilled the ground.  My plan is to grow all the fruits and vegetables organically and make all (or most) of Carter's baby food.
Like I said before, God has worked His plan out perfectly this year.  I am amazed to look back over the past 12 years and see all the subtle ways that He was setting the scene for Carter to be able to come into our lives.  Travis and I had chosen not to have an open adoption, but I wouldn't want it any other way now.  My heart is filled with so much love for Rachael and her family.  I am so glad that Carter will grow up knowing what great people they are and how much they love him.  I am also glad that they can be assured that Carter is being well taken care of, instructed in the Christian faith, and happy. 
Here is a video that can attest to this little boy's unbelievable cuteness:


Other exciting events included visiting with our future BFF Grace
Carter tries really hard to sit up and can for awhile with support.  Eventually he falls forward.  Top heavy, I guess!
These last few pictures feature Carter wearing one of his Daddy's outfits from when he was a baby.  I guess I waited to long to put it on him.  It was a tight fit.  I thought it was hilarious, though.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Happy first (of many!) Mother's Day!! He is such a precious (not to mention ADORABLE) blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sara! Your little girl is sweet as could be too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the video. He's so adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete