Monday, May 3, 2010

Curiosity

I wish I could remember what I was thinking when I was Carter's age.  Sometimes I think I can tell what he is thinking from the look in his eyes.  Sometimes he thinks I am the greatest and funniest thing he has ever seen.  Sometimes, I accidently scare him.  Sometimes I really tick him off!!!

This week Carter was so intuitive to new things around him. I kept wondering what he was thinking.  It was neat to see him be so curious about things. Carter has taken a notice to food.  Especially food that is not his.  He found my hair.....  He put his hand on his knee, looked down, and bent and unbent it to figure out how in the world it worked.  Carter can grab things with both hands and hold on to them for a short time.  No matter what, it usually finds its way to his mouth.

He also has started to become much more affectionate. Carter has always liked to snuggle up against my chest, but he started laying his head on my shoulder this week.  He gives kisses. Wide open with a little spit mixed in.  So sweet!!  He loves his prayer pal (a little boy doll that says the "Now I lay me..." prayer). His night often ends with hugs from this friend.

I feel like I say this every week, but my favorite moment thus far was the other night when I was lying beside him on the couch.  He was cooing, really thinking he was holding an adult conversation with me.  When I started talking back to him, he reached over and started rubbing my cheek, looking me directly in the eyes.  What a charmer!!!

Other exciting (or not-so-exciting) events were:

Shots- I put these off as long as possible.  Well, daycare finally twisted my arm, and Carter was stuck three times this week. It was all I could not to melt into tears right along with him when his bottom lip started quivering like crazy before he let out his wail.  The kid is a trooper though because when I sat him up and told him we were done, he took a deep breath, sighed, and gave me a smile.


This stinking cold will not let up.  I really think it is allergies, so we have closed up the windows, bought a new air filter, and are waiting for things to improve.  His cough is awful, but the doctors say there is nothing we can do.  I did talk to a lady from church who is a homeopathic physician and she recommended a few things-Eucalyptus oil in the humidifier, sweet echinacea, and acidophilus.  We are trying the oil tonight to see how it goes.

I can honestly tell you that I had no idea that parenting would be so exhausting, uncertain, and draining.  Oh, believe me!  People tried.  But no matter how I feel at the end of the day, one look at this sweet face makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment