Friday, July 23, 2010

This is the blog that never ends....

WARNING!  This may or may not be the longest post ever, so wait until you have plenty of time to take part in our small adventure.

Let's see...where to start?

I guess I can start by telling you that I love my second job!  I am the youth director at our church, which puts me in charge of the Jr. and Sr. High groups (among other countless things).  It was this job that has helped to continually grow my faith.  The faith that helped me through the waiting period before Carter.  I LOVE being able to share my thoughts and feelings about God (mixed in with a good game of ping-pong or garbage ball!)  When we got word that Mr. Carter would be joining our family, there wasn't a doubt in my mind-he would officially become the youngest member of our youth group.  And that he has!!!


Travis and I took 10 (out of 25,000 teenagers) to a youth conference in New Orleans.  We rode a bus for 33 hours total.  Yes, a bus.  With a baby.  Are we crazy or what?!  Lucky for us, we have the greatest baby in history. 

My sister, Kearstyn came along as the 1/2 nanny.  She watched him during the morning and evening activities and did a FABULOUS job.  I was/am so lucky to have her.  THANKS AND I LOVE YOU!


 
The rest of the time, Carter rode around in his stroller and watched the chaos around him.  He really enjoys "people watching," as do I.  There were certainly plenty of people around to do that.  He also really enjoys loud noises and music.  There were plenty of noises around, too.  He napped when he was supposed to nap, ate great, and laughed the whole week.

 
The youth on the trip kept him quite entertained.  They have officially nick-named him "Baby C" which I think they will continue to call him even when he is 20 years old.  The boys in my group especially love him and can't wait to babysit. For real!  One even wanted the experience of changing a diaper.  Way to go, Mike! 





 
There were two points in time, in the middle of all the fun and laughing, that I had to hold in the happy tears.  The first: The boys had just finished breaking a relay record and each one of them picked Carter up to get a congratulatory hug from him.  Another example of how loved this little man is....

The second: At the conference, each day ends with a Mass Event.  It is like a huge concert with skits and speakers, music and dancing.  I was singing the songs and holding Carter, who was trying to fall asleep.  The song that was playing was Chris Tomlin's "Indescribable."  These lyrics touched my heart and had me thanking God for all that Travis and I have gone through.  Not just the past 6 months...but all of it.  The tough times had to happen in order for the joy to follow.

Indescribable, uncontainable
You placed the stars in the sky and You know them by name.
You are amazing God.
All powerful, untameable
Awestruck we fall to our knees as we humbly proclaim
You are amazing God

Even though we had a blast, we were all glad to be home.  Travis and I especially.  We think Carter is missing all the attention and action, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment