Saturday, January 10, 2015

A letter to my 5 year old boy

In just a few hours, Carter, you will be FIVE! We celebrated you with a Pirate and Popcorn party. Your choice of course. I love that you are becoming so independent and decisive in your life. You are confident and hard-headed, snugly and rough, hilarious and so serious. Boy are you smart!
Five years ago, buddy, you made me a mom. You made us a family. Although we've always talked to you about how you came to us, I think you are starting to grasp/question it. The other day when your dad and I were talking in the car about our hope of adopting another boy or girl, I couldn't contain myself when you said, "Hold on just a minute here! So you're telling me I'm adopted? Cats and dogs are adopted." I know you'll have lots of questions as you figure this out-but know one thing-my goodness, you are loved! By me. By Dad. By Rachael. By all our families and friends. By God. You are blessed, my boy.

So, as you are sweetly snoring next to me, I want to write randoms that I don't want to forget or that I want you to know. Here goes:

You hated snuggling for 4 1/2 years. All of the sudden you can't snuggle enough. I'm in heaven. You hold on with both arms and occasionally pat my arm or back. You rub my hair with your hands. You play with my hair. You come into whatever room I am in and sing, "Snuggle time, snuggle time!"

You like my singing. One day you won't. I promise.

When you sneak into our bed at night, you still jab those little toes of yours into my legs just like you used to as a baby. I'd have bruises from those toes!

Every -ed word sounds like -ted: playted, watchted, drinkted. When I try to correct you, you counter argue and think you are completely correct. It's that inherited stubbornness I've been hearing about...

Power rangers, ninja turtles, hot wheels.

I've never been as happy as I am being your mom. The wait was worth it because God picked out the perfect one for us. Praise Him!

Happy birthday, bubaloo!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Carter Lee! What a blessing you are!!!

    ReplyDelete